Gotta Get Up And Go | A Status Quo Forum

Isaac Ryan Avatar
This should have been a single IMO, What a cracking track to promote the album. 

Yup

sqcollector Avatar
Good song. Has some Softer Ride vibes. The rhythm is similar.

I remember a journalist in some music mag putting that to Francis when it came out and Mr Rossi taking great offence at the question saying it was nothing like Softer Ride. Yeah, right  :D  He should've taken it as a compliment for any song to be compared to such a classic. And we're only really talking about the opening bars anyway. 

A marvellous track from an album I still like very much  ;-|

Always thought it had real potential, but for me it was a good build up, but then when the band kicked in, it all just went a bit flat.

Yeah, it's not as dynamic as Softer Ride, which has the quiet parts, then the stronger parts. The intro is good, but after that is more straightforward. Nevertheless, has a more classic Quo rhythm. That's a plus, in 2005, I'd say.

It also has a class solo from Francis. One of his most inventive in recent years  ;-|
Yes, this is one of the best song of the album, had been the rest of the songs like Gotta get up and Go we would be talking maybe of a top ten Quo Album. 

I agree that after a great opening the song lacks something to be like Softer ride ( A TRUE CLASSIC) but then comes a great solo . I wish FR would bother in recent albums to work hard and make an effort  on solos..he is totally capable to  make good solos, I am sure...

The one outstanding track on the Party album .. Could've been turned into something really heavy live - instead of the title song, which is a nice pop tune, but never worked live.

snakelady Avatar
The one outstanding track on the Party album .. Could've been turned into something really heavy live - instead of the title song, which is a nice pop tune, but never worked live.

You're partially right. It's one of about 13 great tracks on the album  :D  

But I agree that, live, it would have been terrific. A very good choice for a single as well I'd have thought. Obviously, those in control 'thought' differently  :'(

I really dislike the solo on this song. I think it's awful (the solos on ISOTFC, QPQ and Backbone step all over it IMO). One of the reasons I can never really call this a favourite although it had potential.

Best song with Belavista and You never stop for me. Not a big fan of the album, though.
For me GGUAG has a great intro then it gets a bit dull but the solo makes it great again. I quite like the solo. Francis should be doing more of this staff, melodic, long solos...such a pitty he seems not to care much about the solos these days, Backbone being a good example.

I find the solo irritating. Awful sound, bad intonation, no flow or dynamics at all... in fact I'd say the same about all the solos on the album.

Backbone has shorter solos, but they sound far more appealing to my ears. I'd like them longer, sure, but not if it's half-assed stuff.

I like the solo- it’s different from anything I’ve ever heard from Francis before or since.Plus, the whole backing really really intensifies as he plays it- it’s one of the best examples of the band being totally locked on, I feel.

I really like this track

You know, I was commenting from memory, and I listened to the track again and played along. Aside from the solo, which I still think sounds pretty uninspired, two other things stood out to me:1) The "Wait just a minute, there's something in it" section just feels out of place to me; I think this is what really kills the song's momentum

2) The band's dynamics on this track are odd. I suppose this has to do with the way it was recorded, but the final chorus is just sooo amazing with Matt really bashing the hell out of the drums. :drm: But why does it happen so late in the game? I don't get it. Had they gone into full throttle mode like this earlier, I think I'd like the song much more.